First I need to make an apology to the flowers I squished whilst taking this photo. Ok, now that’s out the way let me introduce you to these mini egg and white chocolate cookie bars. They’re gooey, melty, chocolatey and just a little bit slutty.
I found this recipe on Janespatisserie, an amazing baking blog I seem to go on way too often just to gaze at the photos. I have a special place in my heart for mini eggs so when I saw this recipe I didn’t even question whether I should make them. Also, I need to point out that mini eggs smell SO good!? I would wear them as perfume if I could.
I made a couple of adaptions to the recipe, halving everything because there are only three people in my house (not that that matters seeing as I ate them all myself) and the original measurements make 16. I’m listing the original measurements though because trust me, you want as many of these as you can get, and also I don’t want to do maths again because it hurts my brain.
When they come out the oven they should be soft and gooey on the inside but hard and crispy on the outside. I was too impatient to wait for them to cool before cutting them which is why they look slightly ‘informal’ but they’re definitely best eaten warm when the chocolate is still melted. As Jane said you can always put them in the microwave to achieve the same effect.
- 275g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 115g unsalted butter
- 55g granulated sugar
- 135g light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 x 90 g bag mini eggs (you can use different chocolate such as M&M’s, but why would you?)
- 100g white chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 190c or 170c fan and butter or line a 9×9 inch square tin.
- Measure the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cornflour into a bowl and mix together so that everything is incorporated.
- Melt the butter and then put this into a larger bowl along with the sugars. Whisk for around two minutes so that the mixture is smooth. You can do this by hand or using an electric whisk. I chose to do it by hand because I want hunky biceps. Add the beaten egg and vanilla and whisk again till smooth.
- Pour the dry ingredients into this bowl and then add the mini eggs, reserving a handful. Chop up your chocolate and sprinkle this in too. Mix together with a spatula, resisting the urge to stick your face in the bowl. You don’t need to mix for long, just until you have a thick cookie dough.
- Press the dough into the tin using the back of a large spoon, and push the reserved mini eggs gently on top. Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the surface is crisp.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled cut the cookies into squares.
You can store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or you can store them in your belly immediately.